A California king is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long.
If you are a tall person who has gotten used to dangling feet, you may find it disconcerting to be able to stretch out fully and not to hang over.
However, you’ll get used to it quickly. The best California king mattress is the one that fits in your bedroom. If you need storage space under the bed, you’ll also need enough square footage to roll out or move out the storage bins.
What is a California King?
A California king bed is slightly narrower and slightly longer than a standard king size mattress.
Your California king will be 72 inches wide; a standard king mattress is 76 inches wide. California king beds offer more length; these beds are 84 inches long, rather than the 80 inch long standard king size mattress.
If you are taller than average or you have pets that sleep with you, a California king could be exactly what you need.
King Size Mattress In inches, the 76 inch by 80 inch is 6,080 square inches. The 72 inch by 84 inch
California King Size Mattress is 6,048 square inches.
Memory foam or hybrid California King Size is ideal if you need the sleeping space of a King Size Mattress but also need space around the sides of the bed.
For example, if you invest in a platform bed with drawer storage, the narrower California King may make it easier to get to your belongings.
Best California King Mattress: Top 15 Reviews
1. Top pick: Amerisleep AS3
If you love the cushion of a foam mattress but can't take the heat, the Amerisleep AS3 is a great choice.
This mattress is an excellent choice for those who struggle with back pain; the top layer is extremely responsive and will allow you to turn and adjust without waiting for the mattress to sink or flex. Even better, the Refresh Cover turns your body heat into far infrared energy.
Far infrared energy boosts your circulation and stimulates tissue health, helping you to shed inflammation and clear your tissues of toxins. Despite this energy, the top layer is formulated to carry away body heat and allow you to sleep cool.
Finally, the bottom layer provides a firm, stable base to allow the active layer of foam plenty of flex. This open, wicking foam will also reduce the risk of moisture build-up, cutting down your risk of mildew and bacterial growth.
- The AS3 works well on a flat platform and an adjustable bed base
- You can try out this mattress for 100 nights before you have to decide. If you keep it, you have 20 year warranty that you can trust
- Shipping and returning are both free
- The cover is designed to stay 7 degrees below body temperature and wick away heat. If you are a cold sleeper, you may need to boost your pajama warmth
- Foam mattresses outgas; be ready to give you new mattress at least 24 hours to open and air
- Using this mattress with a box spring is not recommended
- The top layer is made of Bio-Pur Eco-Friendly memory foam, which flexes more deeply, springs back more quickly, and keeps you cool.
- This foam is formulated to reduce pressure point discomfort, critical to anyone suffering from nerve pain.
- You can put your own body heat to work thanks to the mineral-infused cover.
2. Runner Up: Saatva Classic
The Saatva Classic is produced by a company that offers much more than a terrific mattress. You can get this mattress in both standard and split. Comfort level options include plus, luxury firm, or firm.
You can buy the mattress alone, buy a standard foundation, or an adjustable base to suit you and your household. The cover is organic cotton and the foam in this mattress is treated with Guardin botanical antimicrobial treatment to avoid any bacterial or mold growth.
The innerspring coil is covered and surrounded by foam to help the mattress hold its shape while allowing plenty of airflow and great comfort for years to come.
- You can get this mattress in 11.5″ or 14.5″ thick construction, depending on your need for plush comfort
- Both the split and the standard offer the extra 4 inches of length in comparison to a standard king
- The platform bed options come in a variety of styles, including an added headboard
- The standard California king comes in both thicknesses, but the adjustable mattress can only be purchased in the 11.5-inch mattress
- If you put this bed on a platform, the coils will provide less give
- There is a $99 processing fee if you choose to return this mattress
- This mattress offers Active Spinal support as you move and stretch out, protecting you against kinks and morning back pain.
- The combination of tempered steel coils and cushioning foam means that this mattress will hold shape over time.
- You can try this mattress for six months, enjoy a 15 year warranty, and enjoy hassle-free removal of your old mattress. Plus, free delivery!
3. Best Value: Nectar Mattress
Your Nectar Mattress is a full foam mattress made up of 5 layers. The base is all about stability; no matter what happens on top of the mattress, the bottom layer will keep things together.
The next layer up is 7 inches of support. Additional dynamic support for spring can be found in the middle layer, while the 2nd layer from the top is gel-infused foam to move heat away from your skin.
Finally, the top layer is a quilted poly-blend for softness and heat dispersal. The Nectar California King Size Mattress is 12 inches thick, 84 inches long and 72 inches wide, and can work either on a flat platform or an adjustable base.
- This company is carbon neutral. Guilt-free sleep!
- The cover is formulated to be cool to the touch
- The center layer of dynamic foam reduces transfer between you and your partner
- Delivery within the lower 48 states is free, but you will have to pay to get the old one hauled off
- The Nectar mattress is 84 pounds in the box
- This mattress will need to open up and air out when you set it up
- The top two layers of this mattress are all about staying cool.
- The middle layer is where the flex happens. If you side sleep and your partner sleeps on their back, this center layer is what will keep you both comfy.
- You can test drive this mattress for a year and it has a forever warranty.
4. Best Pressure Relief: Nolah Evolution 15
If you are recovering from an injury or struggling with joint pain, the Nolah Evolution may be the best California King Size mattress for your needs.
This is a hybrid mattress that features coils for pressure relief and spinal supports. The memory foam in this mattress is graphite infused to keep you cooler and reduce the risk if bacterial build-up.
Finally, the cover of this mattress is made of ArcticTex™ fabric, woven to stay cool to the touch. There are 7 layers of support within this mattress. It's designed to allow you to snuggle in, find a comfortable position, and stay there as long as you like. You can get an organic cotton protector for this mattress for easy washing and they offer bamboo sheets to suit.
- The edge of this mattress is reinforced with high density foam to make getting up and down in the night much easier
- The coils of this mattress are designed to fully support you no matter the position you sleep in
- If your pain is severe enough that any movement by your sleeping partner immediately telegraphs to you, this California king bed may be perfect for both of you
- The Nolah is 15 inches thick; you may need a lower bed frame to easily get up and down
- This mattress features a heat-releasing gusset around the body of the mattress; too many blankets may keep this bed from breathing
- Tummy sleepers and back sleepers may find this bed too plush
Nolah Evolution 15
- While this mattress is plush, there is enough pushback to protect you from that squashy, smushed feeling of being swallowed by your mattress.
- You can put this mattress on a flat frame or an adjustable to help you sit up; if health problems require you to sit up and sleep, you can do it on this bed.
- This Cal king mattress ships for free and has a lifetime warranty.
5. Best Soft: Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid
For side sleepers and heavy sleepers, the Cal king mattress Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid is an excellent choice. If you sleep hard enough to wake up stiff and sore or struggle with joinnt pain, the soft and supple AS5 is ideal.
This mattress offers extreme pressure relief and a 100-night sleep trial so you can be sure. The AS5 mattress comes with a 20-year warranty and offers free shipping as well as free returns should you decide not to keep it. This Bio-Pur® memory foam bed offers multiple layers that allow air to move.
Combined with a soft cover woven to stay cool to the touch, you can revel in this plush mattress that doesn't lead to overheating.
- The AS5 mattress offers terrific protection against motion transfer. If you're restless and your sleeping partner is a light sleeper, you can find a comfortable position without waking your partner
- The AmeriSleep Refresh Cover is woven to stay cool to the touch; cover it with crisp cotton on hot summer nights for the most comfort
- This mattress offers firm support down both long edges to make it easy to get in and out of this bed
- You can't use this mattress with a box spring; the bounce can tear up the foam layers
- If you want to put this Cal king mattress on a platform, you may need more slats and additional center support
- Whatever base you use needs slat gaps of no more than 2.75 inches apart. A solid base will limit the air flow that cools this mattress
Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid
- This mattress offers great rebound; you can sink in and snuggle to get comfortable, but you won't wake up feeling submerged in the bed.
- If pain has been your companion for a while, this soft mattress can make it easier to fall asleep in confidence. For those who struggle with hip pain in particular, this king mattress is well worth the try.
- The softness doesn't have to lead to overheating. Unlike old-school memory foam, the Bio-Pur® memory foam used in this mattress build is designed to keep you cool while allowing you to sink in a bit.
6. Best Organic: Avocado Green Mattress
For those who are sensitive to memory foam, the best Cal king bed in this listing may be the Avocado Green Mattress.
This Cal King mattress is made of latex foam, individually wrapped coils, organic cotton and organic wool. If you are vegan and prefer to not use wool products, Avocado has options for you as well. Side sleepers will revel in the plush cotton top.
For those who need help with motion isolation, the pocketed coils will limit motion transfer no matter which of you need to settle in. You can enjoy the 11-inch standard mattress or the 13-inch pillow top. Tummy and back sleepers may do better on the 11-inch while side sleepers will be more comfortable on the 13.
If you've never had a latex mattress before, you can try it for a full one-year trial period. This mattress also comes with a 25-year warranty.
- Latex foam is inherently antibacterial and mildew resistant
- The coils in this mattress offer terrific support without noise or bounce
- Side sleepers may well be more comfortable on the thicker mattress, but both back and tummy sleepers will likely love the 11-inch Avocado Cal king mattress
- Latex foam is heavy; this mattress should not be moved by just one person
- These mattresses are not cheap, but they are made in the United States
- Shipping may be free, but delivery to your door and bedroom are not--pay for the delivery
Avocado Green Mattress
- Both the standard and the plush offer terrific pressure relief. During your 365-night sleep trial, check the bounce or pushback that your mattress offers to see if you need to go more or less plush.
- The organic wool layers offer a natural flame retardant with no outgassing.
- This mattress is hand-tufted and has sturdy handles built-in; moving this mattress is quite simple.
7. Best Latex: Nolah Natural
If you're a hot sleeper who does not care for memory foam, the best California king size mattress for you in this listing may be the Nolah Natural Talalay latex Cal king mattress.
The combination of punctured latex, which provides excellent airflow, and comfort coils, which provide ideal pressure relief, will keep you comfy and cool no matter the season. You will enjoy a 120-night sleep trial and a lifetime warranty with your Nolah.
While this mattress is just 11 inches thick, you will find a bit more flex and give on this mattress than some of the other lower-loft mattresses in this listing, thanks to the multiple layers of latex foam and quilted cotton top.
- Talalay latex doesn't capture and hold heat. Hot sleepers will not cook on this mattress
- You will feel cushioned but not swallowed on this mattress
- The coils are formulated to support you where you need it most; at hips and shoulders
- Latex foam is heavier than plain memory foam. Hire the delivery service
- Your Nolah Natural 11 mattress is wrapped fully in cotton; you will want to put this on a very stable base to avoid abrasion damage, such as in an RV or camper
- This Cal king mattress may be too soft for tummy sleepers
- Punctured Talalay latex is remarkably stable and sturdy. Latex foam is also inherently resistant to heat moisture and bacterial build-up and perforated to move air.
- This entire mattress is designed to push back at pressure points; the more you sink, the more support you'll get.
- This mattress also offers terrific protection against motion transfer. If you need to get up or reposition, your partner should not feel it.
8. Best for Motion Isolation: Puffy Lux Hybrid
Those who struggle with allergies will love the Puffy Lux Hybrid premium hypoallergenic cover. If dust and dust mites are a challenge, this mattress may be the solution.
This mattress features 6 layers, from the stain-resistant cover to the gripping base, to keep you comfortable. It offers a medium plush level of comfort; while it flexes with you, it won't swallow you up.
The top three layers of foam below the cover are formulated to keep you cool and to wick way moisture. At the bottom, you'll find the coil base for flexibility and give.
- Hybrid mattresses are inherently lighter than a solid foam mattress
- You will enjoy supported comfort; it's soft, but not so soft that your body will be misaligned as you relax
- You can put this on your existing bed frame, including your box spring
- If you have any fabric sensitivities, make sure you return this within the 101 day window; some sensitivities are not covered by the warranty
- The mattress delivers at just over 100 pounds. Make sure you check the mattress over for defects quickly
- This mattress is formulated to stay cool. If you need heat to be comfortable, consider adding a down alternative topper
Puffy Lux Hybrid
- The coils in your puffy mattress are designed to support you more as you sink deeper into the mattress.
- If you struggle with sinking in and waking up kinked or twisted, this mattress can help you drop into sleep and stay there.
- The cover can be removed for washing!
9. Best Cooling: GhostBed Luxe
Hot sleepers in the market for a California king need to check out the GhostBed Luxe. Every layer of this mattress is formulated to stay either cool to the touch or to wick away heat.
In addition, this may be the best Cal King mattress for athletes. The pressure relieving layers offer excellent motion isolation and make it easy to find a comfortable position without disturbing your sleeping partner.
This best cooling California King Size Mattress provides motion transfer protection for side sleepers and back sleepers. You GhostBed comes with a 101 day trial period. The manufacturer does ask that you give the bed 30 days to adjust to.
If you've struggled to find a memory foam or hybrid that doesn't leave you a sweaty mess, this may be the best Cal king bed for your needs.
- In addition to cooling support, each layer of foam offers excellent pressure relief
- built in the United States
- You can get this Cal king mattress in plush or firm and both versions are designed to cool you
- The White Glove delivery service will take up to two weeks to get set up
- Your GhostBed does include foam that may produce some outgassing and odor
- A waterproof cover may be necessary, which can lead to heat build-up.
- There are two layers of gel memory foam to move heat away from your skin as you sleep.
- The woven cover is built to be cool to the touch.
- The durable foam base of this mattress allows you to sink in with support, rather than being swallowed by your mattress.
10. Best for Side Sleepers: Layla Hybrid
A hybrid mattress pairs foam and innerspring coils. The Layla Hybrid is designed to fully cushion side sleepers, restless sleepers, and folks who need to move. This seven-layer mattress includes pocketed coils for comfort and flex in the middle.
Above and below the coils are layers of copper foam to wick away moisture and make the mattress inhospitable to bacteria, mold, and mildew. Above the coils is a 2 inch layer of cooling foam, a 2.5 inch layer of copper-infused foam, and a soft fabric to make it easy to move the mattress and protect the layers of foam.
You can pull the cover off this bed for washing and handles are built into the fabric cover. For those who find they eventually need a firmer mattress, you can flip this one and use the firmer layer as the top sleeping surface.
- Offers 1,295 coils to support you gently as you turn in the night
- You have options; if the bed is too soft for your partner, you can flip this mattress, sleep on the firm and add a twin topper for the partner that needs more cushion.
- Copper-infused foam is inherently antibacterial and you have two layers.
- 127 pounds. Get help to flip
- The cover can get hot
- You will need to sleep on this before at least two weeks before you return it within the 120 day window
- This bed has a soft side and a hard side with coils in the middle.
- The cover can easily come off and be laundered.
- The copper layers wick away heat and moisture, both above and below the coils.
11. Best for Plus-Sized People: WinkBed
Larger folks looking for more support in their California king will love the WinkBed. The WinkBed is a wonderful hybrid mattress covered in Tencel fabric, made from eucalyptus fibers.
The pillow top is made of gel infused foam. The combination of this foam and individually pocketed coils will help you to stretch out and enjoy greater support as you sink into your mattress.
Even better, this mattress is made with an edge support system that will support you in comfort and hold its shape over time.
Also, in every layer of this mattress, the design releases heat and moisture. This mattress will work with a slatted frame, a traditional frame with center support and a platform, and an adjustable frame.
- The fabric covering on this mattress is both durable and soft
- The base of this mattress is designed not to slide around for safety's sake
- These mattresses are environmentally friendly, right down to the recycled steel coils
- This mattress is over 150 pounds; you may need help
- There are very few places where you can test drive this mattress in person
- You can't flip this mattress for longer life, though it will hold shape better than many foam mattresses.
- The edge support makes it easier for heavier sleepers to easily get in and out of this bed.
- This California king wicks away heat and moisture from cover to bottom; if heat is a big worry, use a slatted frame.
- The deeper you sink, the more support you will feel.
12. Best foam: Casper Original
A Casper Original offers four factors that protect your health and keep your body well-supported as you slumber. There is zoned support to protect your spine through the hips.
The Airscape design lets air move through the mattress to keep you nice and cool. The base foam provides plenty of spring at the lowest level to protect the mattress from crushing and keep the upper levels supported.
Finally, the top layer of premium foam cushions your body as you move and turn. The California king Casper is only 100 pounds and offers great support at 11 inches of thickness.
- This mattress offers a 10 year warranty
- This mattress is much easier to move at just 100 pounds
- The base of the Casper is thick enough that this mattress will hold its shape for years to come
- Tummy sleepers may not be comfortable on this bed
- The foam version of this mattress doesn't have edge support
- This mattress won't work as a floor mattress; it needs moisture
- The zoned support layer of foam specifically targets the hips and low back, working well for side and back sleepers.
- The top layer of foam is perforated for heat and moisture dispersal.
- At 11 inches thick, this mattress will work well on platforms and adjustable bases.
13. Best for Active People: Zoma Mattress
If you love to exercise and fall into bed completely worn out, the Zoma Mattress is a great choice.
Their construction technology is referred to as Triangulex and Reactiv. Triangulex cools your body by boosting the breathability of the mattress thanks to gel foam and a pattern of cutouts.
The Reactiv technology cushions your body as you turn and stretch out. The bottom layer of the mattress provides plenty of support and durability over time.
- Your Zoma comes with a 10 year warranty
- You can return the Zoma after a 30 day trial
- Your Zoma was built in the United States
- You should not use your box spring with this mattress
- Your Zoma needs to breathe; it shouldn't be used as a floor mattress
- This mattress probably won't work with a topper because of the cuts in the top layer, but if it is too firm or you are adjusting a temporary topper can help
- The Zoma is 12 inches thick and has a softly curved edge; if you don't like the hard edge of a foam mattress, this looks more plush.
- The cover is extremely stretchy and designed to move air through to the gel foam.
- The top layer also offers zoned support for your low back.
14. Affordable Luxury: DreamCloud Premier
If you have any nerve or joint pain issues, you may gain great benefit from a DreamCloud Premier plush mattress. This hybrid mattress starts with a low motion or transfer layer. The next layer up is made up of individually wrapped coils.
There's a pressure-relieving comfort layer, an extra inch of very soft foam, and high loft foam to move moisture and heat away from your skin. The top layer is made of plush Mongolian cashmere.
You can use this mattress on your current box spring, a platform frame, or an adjustable base.
- This mattress is incredibly soft to the touch
- The pairing of cashmere and foam means that you can enjoy the comfort of foam while enjoying natural material against your skin
- This mattress has handles to make it easier to move once you unroll it
- Do be aware that this mattress is 131 pounds; get help to move it
- Your DreamCloud will be 14 inches thick, which may be too tall for your box spring
- Some users find the cashmere cover to be too warm
- Your initial trial of this mattress can last for 365 days.
- DreamCloud has a lifetime warranty; if it works, you can get another one!
- The top layer of this mattress is designed to snuggle you in coolness.
15. Best on Amazon: Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
The Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress is made up of three layers of comfortable foam. The bottom 7 inches of foam is high density and formulated to help the mattress keep its shape.
The next layer up offers 2 inches of pressure-relieving foam; the more you compress it, the more support you get. The top layer is 3 inches of memory foam infused with charcoal and green tea. This infusion makes the mattress friendly to you and unfriendly to bacteria, mold, and mildew.
As the bottom layer offers firm support and comfort, the top two layers carry away both moisture and heat, keeping you cooler.
- You don't need a box spring with this mattress
- Designed to isolate movement; restless sleepers will not wake the whole bed
- The green tea layer is cool and fragrance-free
- There is no edge support on this mattress; make sure you don't get a low platform if getting up is a problem
- The cover on this mattress clings to the sheet; it can be challenging to make this bed
- Decompression can take a long time
Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
- The green tea and charcoal-infused layer reduce the chemical odor that can come with a foam mattress.
- The soft jacquard cover will give you another layer of softness without adding heat.
- This mattress comes with a ten-year warranty.
Differences Between a King and a California King Mattress
Your size preference and co-sleepers will have a big impact on your choice. A standard king is 76 inches wide and 80 inches long. Your California king is 72 inches wide and 84 inches long.
If you’re tall, the California king may be more comfortable. Even if you’re not tall, if your pets sleep near your feet, a California king may still be best.
The standard king is 4 inches wider. If your co-sleepers are restless or like to sleep beside you, a standard size may be a much better option.
Of course, the California king isn’t the largest king mattress option on the market. If you need more space, the
- Texas king is 80 inches by 98 inches or 54 square feet
- Wyoming king is 84 inches by 84 inches or 49 square feet
- Alaskan king is 108 inches by 108 inches or 81 square feet
In square feet, the California king is just 42 square feet. When making your king mattress choice, make sure you also factor in bedding costs and access; you will need clearance all the way around any of these beds on laundry day.
You will also need to focus on access to your sleeping space and the weight of these mattresses; many will be available split, but these beds will not be an easy move.
Things to Consider Before Buying a California King Mattress
Your primary consideration when selecting your California king needs to be your density or firmness needs. If you sleep with a partner and you have different density needs, you may want to look at one of the mattresses with a pressure-relieving layer.
The more you compress the mattress, the more support you receive. Plushness doesn’t necessarily mean support. You can also increase the density of your support by purchasing an air bed that will pressurize your side of the mattress.
These are large beds. If your bedroom is not large, you may be happier with a smaller mattress that allows you to walk all the way around the bed. Making the bed while you’re kneeling on it can be tough on your body.
If you have the room, a California king can be a great blessing; you have room, your pets can snuggle up at your feet. Finally, if you’re all under 6 feet tall you can sleep sideways and have room for the whole clan!
You can spend from $500 to $2,000 for a quality California king. Many of the mattresses linked above can be purchased over time by financing directly with the manufacturer.
Additionally, the mattresses in this listing offer a warranty and a decent stretch of time to test drive your mattress. There are 365 nights in a year. At $5.00 a night of great sleep, you can buy a mattress with a 15-year warranty from Saatva. Worth it? Absolutely!
California king beds are large; none of these will be terribly light. However, if you need a mattress that will be easy to move on your own, memory foam is probably your best choice. Once your king mattress is in place, the lifting will be worth it!
Several of the California king mattress options in this listing come with handles built in. Be aware that your mattress will show up rolled up in a box and may need to breathe once you unbox it. Even gel memory foam can outgas; a full memory foam mattress may need to breathe even more.
The best California king for hot sleepers may well be the GhostBed. If you are a back or tummy sleeper, the best cooling California king will also be fairly firm and low loft.
Avoid a plush mattress unless you have specific pressure relief needs. For those who have struggled to find a California king size mattress that stays cool, consider buying in early summer so you can use your 100 or more night sleep trial to make sure your bed will be cool enough when the days heat up.
Try to settle your California king so you have a 30-inch walkway around the bed. Crawling over your sleeping partner will be challenging. Changing the sheets without having access to the side of the bed will be nearly impossible.
You may be able to put the 84-inch side against the wall and still get to both ends of the bed for easy linen changes on laundry day.
There is a lot of real estate under a California king. If you need the space, consider pairing a taller platform with your new mattress. Make sure you get a platform with center support. Invest in bins that will fit under the bed without getting too close to that center support to avoid getting hung up under the bed.
Consider bins with rollers or casters that will give you more flexibility; bins that will fit under this bed will be long and dragging them out will get old.
California King Mattress Types
A foam mattress is generally built of layers, some of which may be latex foam. These mattresses tend to hold heat.
However, a good-quality foam mattress with top layers that will allow air to move can help you get past that overheating challenge. The bottom layer will generally be quite dense and increase the durability of the mattress.
Often, a foam mattress will be cooler and more comfortable with a layer of latex foam.
Latex foam is made from rubber and boosts the support offered by the mattress. If you like to be cushioned but don’t care to sink into your mattress, a latex foam mattress may be best.
A full latex mattress can be quite expensive; as a general rule, your latex mattress will be glued to the top of a polyester foam base.
Be aware that these mattresses can be quite heavy; be sure about your location before you set it up.
A hybrid mattress pair springs with foam. Older sleepers who need more support on the edge of the mattress will really appreciate the outer foam edge of their innerspring mattress.
If foam mattresses are too hot but you like the “squish” factor, your hybrid will be a step up. The springs inside the mattress will allow for air transfer and the bottom layer of dense foam will protect the mattress from excess wear.
A full spring mattress is more traditional. These mattresses do tend to be much cooler than a mattress that has more foam in the layers. However, if you are a restless sleeper and your partner is a light sleeper, there may be some motion transfer challenges.
An airbed offers adjustable densities, often from side to side. If you need to sleep with your head elevated, an airbed can allow you that flexibility. These beds are also a great option if you are a tummy sleeper and your partner is a side sleeper.
California King Mattress Price Range
You can expect to spend $1,000 on the low end. If you prefer an organic mattress or hybrid, the price will go up; at the highest end, you may pay as much as $3,000 for a high quality organic latex California king.
Do take the time to check out the website of the manufacturer that appeals most. Sign up for promotions and coupons while you make room in your budget for a new mattress.
GhostBed and Puffy in particular offer great discounts and promotions via email. If you need one sooner, check out the financing options offered on most websites.
Great sleep is priceless. If your current mattress is cooking you, flattened to useless, or just not supporting you effectively, find the bed with the test drive time that suits you and take the plunge!
Benefits and Downsides of a California King
Things we like
- Tall sleepers will love this mattress. It is 7 feet long, so if you’re over 6 feet and have struggled with feet that dangle, this mattress will allow you to enjoy full support from crown to toes.
Not so great
- You will need a big bedroom or sleeping space for your California king.
- Additionally, these mattresses are not light.
Several of the mattresses in this review have handles along the side, but if you don’t have enough room to get all the way around this mattress, changing your sheets will be extremely challenging.
Additional Things to Consider for a Cal King Mattress
No matter your sleeping style, if you sleep with a partner, you will want to get a California king with little transfer from side to side. A restless sleeper who is used to a small bed may become extremely restless once they move to a bigger bed.
If you are changing sleeping factors, you will need a long test drive time to make sure that the following don’t limit your quality of sleep:
- bed size
- bed density
Carefully consider your current sleeping hardware. If you already have a California king and a box spring, review the recommendations of the manufacturer of the new mattress.
Putting a glued foam mattress on your existing box spring can lead to too much movement, and excess movement may pull apart those glued layers.
When ordering your new bed, do take the time to measure repeatedly. Your California king will need special sheets and a particular platform. Make sure you get the right one.
Additionally, it’s a good idea to invest in a breathable mattress cover, at least over the top of the mattress. Air and moisture can pass through the bottom of the mattress while you can avoid spills and perspiration from the top down.
If you love a cup of coffee as you sit up in bed, that extra barrier can reduce your worries.
- Who should buy a California king mattress?
Tall folks and people who have pets who sleep at their feet and a big bedroom.
- Do they still make California king beds?
Yes! You can also go bigger with an Alaskan king.
- How much does a California king mattress cost?
You should expect to spend at least $1,000; up to $3,000 if you need latex or organic foam
- Who needs a California King Mattress?
Anyone who has the space can enjoy a California king.
- What is the point of a California King Bed?
You can stretch out and sleep cool, but you can also snuggle up if you get cold or lonely.
- What is the most expensive California King Size Mattress?
In this listing, the Saatva is the most costly.Are California king beds worth it? If you need the space, yes.
- Is there a split California King Size Mattress?
Yes, and with the right platform, you can enjoy even more flexibility.
- Is there a bigger bed than a California King Size Bed?
The Alaskan King is larger at 108 inches square
- What is the point of a California King bed?
California kings are great for folks who need more square inches from top to bottom; side to side width is a bit smaller than a standard king.
- Is a Cal King two twin mattresses?
No, a standard king is two twin mattresses.
- Which one is bigger King or California King?
By the square inch, a king mattress is slightly bigger than a California king.
- Can I put a California King Size Mattress on a King frame?
No, the California king will hang off the end of a king frame. The mattress will also be a bit too narrow, which may catch your calf as you try to get in and out of bed.
- Do King Size sheets fit California King Size Mattress?
No, they're too short and a bit too wide. Sheets stretched to beyond their capacity may limit the plush flex of your mattress; if you're a side sleeper who's invested in a Puffy or another soft mattress, tight sheets will limit your comfort. Fabric under pressure also wears out sooner.
Stretch Out and Sleep Comfy!
There are several excellent mattresses listed above, but the best California King Mattresses choice really is about your specific sleeping needs, pain level, and sleeping position will also impact the best California king mattresses for you. That being said, the number one mattress in this listing is the Amerisleep AS3 California King Size Mattress.
This mid-firm memory foam bed is designed to carry away heat from the sleeper. Side sleepers who need support but don’t like an especially squishy mattress will love the density of the AS3.
Finally, if you’re an athlete or just someone trying to get in better shape and struggling with muscle or joint pain, the ability of this mattress to convert your body heat into healing far infrared energy will make going to bed more than just a relief; you will actually wake up in better condition than ordinary rest offers.