Side sleepers often struggle to find the right mattress. Even if they can locate one that works, the risk of crush damage over time can render an expensive mattress unusable.
The right mattress topper can keep you and your partner comfortable. If it suffers wear, the best mattress topper for side sleepers can quickly be replaced more easily than a mattress.
If you sleep hot, a gel memory foam product may provide relief. Often, a topper for side sleepers draws in your children and provides a spot to snuggle. To save the risk of damage to your mattress topper, look for a topper with a machine washable cover.
Plush Beds Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Plush Beds Organic Latex Mattress Topper
LUCID 3-inch Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Best for Back Pain
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Why buy a mattress topper for a Side Sleeper?
Side sleepers need the most cushion. Back sleepers require some cushion and tummy sleepers require the least amount of “squish”. A side sleeper also runs the greatest risk of suffering pain at pressure points, specifically where joints meet up.
A mattress topper for side sleeping will protect against hip pain, low back discomfort, and neck tension.
If a side sleeper has been looking for the best mattress topper for a while, they may want to check out one of the newer custom-cut gel memory foam layers. These layers provide zoned support; more support will be given to the hips and the shoulders as the sleeper sink in.
Sinking in can be a challenge for hot sleepers. A simple mattress topper for side sleeping may not be the best option if it leaves side sleepers waking sweaty and miserable.
Luckily, several of the best mattress topper producers are actually coming up with toppers that can not only firm up or soften an existing bed, but they can move more air than the original mattress ever did.
Your mattress topper does not have to be expensive. In fact, spending too much on a topper may have you feeling committed to addition that doesn’t serve you. Many of the toppers in this listing offer a money-back guarantee if your topper doesn’t pan out. If you’re not happy with your results, contact the manufacturer.
Your pain will not match the pain of another sleeper. You may be perfectly comfortable on a new mattress topper that offers two inches of support and pressure reduction. As you age, the next topper may need to be thicker.
Keep an eye on your new topper. If you start to notice crush damage, or if you notice the foam is not coming back to shape when you get up, it’s time for a new topper. Make a list of what you liked and what didn’t work and purchase accordingly.
10 Best Mattress Toppers For Side Sleepers Reviewed
1. Top pick: Saatva Graphite Mattress Topper
The Saatva Graphite Mattress Topper is a terrific topper for side sleepers. Because these are generally softer mattress toppers, the graphite infused foam mattress topper will wick away heat and moisture.
While side sleepers need more cushion, they also need more support at hip and shoulder. This mattress topper for side sleepers offers more relief at pressure points the further the sleeper sinks. This memory foam topper also has elastic straps that make it easy to attach this to your existing mattress.
Toppers for side sleepers can run too hot, but this one has an organic cotton cover to keep sleepers cool. This best mattress topper out there for a side sleeper also offers protection from motion transfer.
- The Saatva product line is ideally suited for a side sleeper; pressure relief without heat buildup
- These mattress toppers can be strapped to the mattress to reduce slipping
- This mattress topper comes with a one year warranty
- The cover cannot be removed for washing, though it can be spot cleaned
- Like any memory foam product, this can crush over time
- You may still need a waterproof cover
Saatva Graphite Mattress Topper
- This graphite infused memory foam topper will take away heat before you wake up miserable.
- The organic cotton cover allows for even more air flow.
- If this mattress topper doesn't suit, you can return it for a full refund within 180 days.
2. Runner Up: Turmerry Organic Latex Mattress Topper
You can firm up a soft mattress or add more cushion to a hard mattress with the right latex mattress topper. Side sleepers looking for a mattress topper for pressure relief and squish will love the Turmerry Organic Latex Mattress Topper in two or three-inch thickness.
This topper for side sleepers does not have a cover; you can easily add this to your existing mattress, then cover it with a sheet, a waterproof mattress protector, or a mattress pad as you choose.
This mattress topper for side sleeping will make it easier to sleep cool no matter how much cushion you need. Side sleepers who struggle to get appropriate relief at the hip and shoulder will need to choose between a two or three-inch layer.
It's important to note that latex mattress toppers can suffer crush damage, just as a memory foam topper can. If you're a heavier person, three-inch toppers for side sleepers may be a better choice.
- Latex mattress toppers are naturally cooler than memory foam toppers
- These mattress toppers do not outgas as memory foam can
- You can expect years of trouble-free comfort from your latex topper
- Latex mattress toppers will be heavier than a foam topper
- Flipping or rotating these can be a challenge; they have a bit of tack
- The cover on these toppers can cause slipping against the mattress
Turmerry Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Latex foam has a bit of grab; your mattress topper should not slide around.
- These latex mattress toppers can be layered as they have ventilation holes to move air and avoid heat build-up.
- You can stack these mattress toppers and build a latex mattress; side sleepers rejoice!
3. Best Value: GhostBed Memory Foam Topper
Back and side sleepers alike will find comfort on a GhostBed Memory Foam Topper. These mattress toppers are designed to support you in zones; the support you get at the shoulder is effective but different from the support you'll find at the hip.
This mattress topper comes with a deep pocket cover to wrap your entire mattress and there is a 2-inch elastic band that keeps your mattress topper in place. You'll find an interesting pattern cut into the top of this memory foam topper.
Each zone has a different cut that provides specific pressure relief for side sleepers.
- This mattress topper offers great protection against crushing
- The bounce back on this memory foam topper is excellent
- This topper is only 30 pounds and is easy to maneuver
- The material in some of the cuts is fairly thin; you will want to move this with care
- This will only cool your bed as far as your mattress, but the gel infused foam will cool you
- The bumps and patterns may impact the line of your freshly made bed
GhostBed Memory Foam Topper
- These mattress toppers offer great airflow.
- The cotton cover offers protection against water damage and is designed to be cool to the touch.
- These memory foam toppers have great grab on the bottom to prevent sliding and slipping.
4. Best Latex: Plush Beds Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Side sleepers will love the Plush Beds Organic Latex Mattress Topper. You can get this in either 2 or 3 inches of thickness and in softness rankings from soft to extra-firm.
If you're looking for a topper for side sleepers on one side and a topper for a tummy sleeper on the other side, you can easily create a custom king-sized bed that looks even but supports the sleepers very differently with 2 twin toppers.
This mattress topper for side sleeping folks is perforated to provide plenty of airflow; since side sleepers need more pressure relief, that "sinking" aspect can lead to overheating.
Perforated mattress toppers are ideal toppers for side sleepers because they don't allow heat to build up. If you sleep hot, this may be the best mattress topper that will allow you to sleep cool.
- Latex mattress toppers are naturally moisture and bacteria resistant
- If you like to sink into your bed, this topper offers great cooling "squish"
- This mattress topper can tolerate some squishing at the edges; you probably won't need new sheets
- If you need to store this, a flat is better than rolled up
- Latex toppers are generally heavier than memory foam
- The cotton cover needs to be hand washed and air dried
Plush Beds Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- This latex mattress topper does not outgas and allows heat to dissipate.
- You can get an organic cotton topper to increase your comfort.
- This topper can be flipped for longer life.
5. Best Budget: LUCID 3-inch Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Side sleepers on a budget will sleep deeply on the LUCID 3-inch Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
This memory foam topper is perforated for airflow and cool comfort. Because this is gel-infused memory foam, you can be confident that this mattress topper is inherently moisture and bacteria-resistant.
Cool cotton sheets over this mattress topper will keep even the most snuggly of side sleepers comfy and cool. You can get this mattress topper in either 2 or 3-inch thickness of Certi-Pur certified foam.
- These mattress toppers are quite light, easy to flip, and easy to move
- You can cut these to fit an odd shape, but make sure you work around the ventilation holes to keep it from breaking down
- These come compressed if you have concerns about dust
- These will need time to expand and there may be some odor for a time
- LUCID toppers may not be effective if you're making a soft mattress firmer
- You may need to invest in deep pocket sheets to avoid crushing the memory foam
LUCID 3-inch Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- This mattress topper has a 3-year warranty.
- Certi-Pur certified gel-infused foam will be cool and odor-free!
- No matter how much pressure relief you need, you can find a LUCID topper to provide you with enough cushion to sleep deeply.
6. Best Organic: Eco Terra 100% Natural Latex Topper
The rubber that goes into the Eco Terra 100% Natural Latex Topper comes from one specific region in Sri Lanka. This single source of rubber means that each latex mattress topper made by Eco Terra is consistent.
You can firm up or soften a mattress with one of these mattress toppers, so both tummy and side sleepers can get comfy on the right product! This mattress topper can be purchased in 2 or 3 inches of thickness and each is perforated to move air.
You can stay both comfortable and cool on this mattress topper.
- This mattress topper comes with a 5-year warranty
- Shipping is free and financing is available; if you choose to stack these to build a soft latex mattress, you can do it affordably
- You won't need to worry that this mattress topper will be rendered useless by tight sheets; this latex foam will hold shape over time
- These will need time to expand once opened
- These mattress toppers cannot be returned
- Latex toppers can be heavier than memory foam
Eco Terra 100% Natural Latex Topper
- This mattress topper will hold shape for years; the risk of crush damage on a single source latex foam is very low.
- These mattress toppers evenly distribute your weight from ankles to shoulder.
- There is no outgassing from this latex foam mattress topper..
7. For Heavy Sleepers: Amerisleep Lift Mattress Topper
The 3-inch memory foam toppers from Amerisleep Lift Mattress Topper can firm or soften your mattress. This is an ideal topper for side sleepers; they recommend the 3 inch Comfort Lift® topper for anyone who needs more contouring and more pressure relief.
This mattress topper for side sleep comes with a breathable cover that increases your coolness, no matter how much you like to sink and snuggle on your memory foam mattress topper. Side sleepers often struggle to find mattress toppers that offer enough targeted pressure relief.
The Amerisleep memory foam topper offers more support the further you sink. This cooling mattress topper is one of the best toppers for side sleepers that suffer from joint pain.
- Fans of memory foam will find this one of the best mattress toppers for avoiding crush damage
- This mattress topper will reduce motion transfer; if you struggle with joint pain and restlessness, this topper may help you sleep more deeply
- This comes compressed with the cover off; if you're worried about slipping, you may want to leave the cover off
- These can be heavy; the queen-sized topper is over 40 pounds
- Like all memory foam products, there is a risk of outgassing
- You will need to let this expand and air out for 24 hours at the low end
Amerisleep Lift Mattress Topper
- Side sleepers may find this the best mattress topper for pressure relief and coolness.
- The cover of this mattress topper wicks away heat to prevent moisture build-up.
- Your memory foam topper will come compressed and easy to move.
8. Best Firm: Puffy Mattress Topper
The Puffy Mattress Topper line comes with the same protections as their mattresses; for example, you get a 101-night sleep trial on your mattress topper. Puffy products let you either soften a hard mattress or toughen up a soft bed.
These toppers come with rubber grips that will keep your topper secured closely to your mattress. Side sleepers will love the cooling fabric on the puffy mattress topper, and this cooling cover is washable.
The topper comes with a cover that offers plenty of grip and deep pockets to secure it firmly to your existing mattress.
- This topper is hypoallergenic and breathable; moisture and bacteria growth should not be a problem
- These toppers come with a lifetime warranty
- Free shipping, 100% return option and 101 nights to test drive your topper means no risk
- The elastic sides will fit over a mattress 15 inches thick; if your current bed is thin, this may take extra tucking
- If you like to sink in and snuggle, even side sleepers will find that they sleep on, rather than in, this mattress
- This topper is just 2.5 inches thick; if your want to use these as a stacked mattress, this may not work
Puffy Mattress Topper
- The anti-slip grip features of this topper will make it feel as though the topper is a permanent part of your mattress.
- Your Puffy topper can increase airflow between you and your existing mattress.
- The washable cover of your Puffy mattress topper is made of polyester and bamboo, ensuring durability and softness.
9. Best for Back Pain: Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Side sleepers who struggle with joint or back pain will love the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper. This latex rubber mattress topper comes with an organic cotton cover.
This latex mattress topper is perforated for ideal airflow. If you're looking for a topper for side sleepers that won't lead to overheating, the Brooklyn should work.
This cooling mattress topper is organic and will resist bacterial build-up; the perforations will move air easily. This mattress topper for side snuggling comes with a washable cover that is woven to be cool to the touch.
Side sleepers looking for comfort should be able to stretch out and find a pain-free position. These mattress toppers for side sleepers offer great pressure relief and protect against motion transfer.
- This is one of the best mattress toppers for hot sleepers
- If you need a firmer mattress, you can easily firm up a too-soft mattress with this topper
- The organic cotton cover is woven to be cool to the touch
- This will come compressed and will take time to expand
- Latex foam products can be quite heavy
- These can be expensive, but they're cheaper than a new mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
- These toppers for side sleepers can save a hard mattress and have great grab; no sliding around.
- This may be the best mattress topper for a hot side sleeper who hates to sink into the bed.
- If you're looking to save an old mattress that has become compressed over time, this can extend the life of your old mattress.
10. Best for Hip Pain: Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
The engineers at Tempur-Pedic were the first to put memory foam to work for regular citizens. The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is a terrific investment if you need responsive support that will protect you from pain at pressure points, such as at the hip and shoulder.
This is a terrific topper for side sleepers that suffer from joint pain. This memory foam mattress topper is both soft and sturdy; it will hold its shape over time and can protect side sleepers from the discomfort of a coil mattress that is wearing.
This memory foam topper comes with a washable cover. Many who struggle with hip and back pain are restless at night. Using toppers for side sleepers that reduce motion transfer can reduce your pain and reduce the chance you're going to wake up your partner!
- The cover and memory foam are all both designed to move air and cool the sleeper
- This may be one of the best mattress toppers for those who need relief at pressure points; the more you sink, the more support you get
- Once this expands, it holds its shape over time
- This mattress topper is memory foam and may have a foam odor as it expands
- The cover must be washed in cold water and dried with air only
- If your mattress is too hot, this topper may still be too warm. It can only clear so much body heat
Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme
- Side sleepers who love stretching out but not sinking in to their mattress will enjoy this topper.
- This may be the best mattress topper for someone looking to stack toppers into a mattress.
- The cover is resistant to dust mites and allergens.
Best Types of Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers?
Your Pain Concerns
The best mattress topper for side sleepers may not work from one person to another. If you have shoulder pain, a too soft topper may leave you chasing your pillow and getting poor sleep.
If you have low back pain and can’t use a firm mattress, you may want a more plush mattress topper for side sleeping.
Your Sleeping Partner
Your sleeping partner’s needs must weigh in when choosing a mattress topper. If they are hot sleepers, a gel infused mattress topper for side sleepers may be a better choice.
If your partner is a tummy sleeper and you tried to compromise on a medium firm mattress, neither of you may be happy.
In that case, you may want to split two mattress toppers; one for softness and one for firmness. If you have a king, two twins should keep your bed looking even once it’s made up.
A textured mattress topper with cooling gel infusion is a good start. If your current bed is quite hard but allows for airflow, such as an older innerspring, you may also be able to use a perforated latex topper. If your current mattress is too hard and it doesn’t move heat, the latex may also be the best choice.
Look for a topper that comes with a machine washable cover. If your bed is at risk of fluid exposure, such as from beverages or children that sleep with you, consider also getting a waterproof cover for both bed and topper.
If your sheets are commonly exposed to playing children or pets, the best mattress topper for your needs may be latex, simply because it will better survive the pressure of a waterproof liner between the mattress topper and the sheet.
How to choose Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers will need to consider how much sinking they want to experience. Sinking too deeply into a mattress topper can lead to a lot of heat build-up and may increase your pain level.
If you plan to take your mattress topper from house to RV and back again, a gel memory foam topper may be a great choice. For the size, these tend to be lighter than other toppers.
Memory foam will tend to be cheaper than latex. If your mattress topper has a cover, you will also pay more. However, if you need a cheap mattress in a hurry, stacking 2 to 3 toppers can work. In that case, try to make one-layer latex to avoid crush damage over time.
Those who struggle with allergies may do best with a latex topper. Consider also adding an organic cotton cover to keep dust out of the perforations in the topper.
Side sleepers who sleep hot may feel cleaner sleeping on a gel memory foam topper.
This foam is formulated to stay cool to the touch and will move air well when covered with a cotton sheet. Do be aware that adding a waterproof cover may cut down on airflow.
However, a gel infused memory foam with cuts in the top layer may help to move air around and reduce heat.
Sleeping Tips for Side Sleepers
The right mattress topper can turn an excessively firm mattress into an ideal spot for side sleepers. If you’re not sure about the investment, consider one of the cheaper gel memory foam toppers to start.
Once you know if you need a mattress topper for side sleeping, use the gel memory foam layer until it shows signs of wear or crushing, then upgrade to latex as needed.
Often, the best mattress topper for side sleepers allows the sleeper to sink in. If you run hot, look for a topper with a cooling cover or consider a gel infused memory foam option for the most airflow.
Take a look at your bed platform as well. If your bed doesn’t have slats that allow air to flow, change out the platform and put a small fan under your bed. Yes, heat rises. However, it can also get trapped under your memory foam or hybrid bed. Your topper can cool, but only as far as the bed.
Choosing the best mattress topper for side sleepers isn’t just about pressure. The plushness of your bed with the topper will change and may change radically once the topper is in place. Use your topper test drive time wisely.
- What is the best mattress topper for side sleepers?
Side sleepers need more cushion than back or tummy sleepers, so something with some give is critical.
- How thick should a mattress topper be for a side sleeper?
The most effective mattress topper under side sleepers should be at least 2 inches thick.
- What Is the Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers with Hip Pain?
Experts recommend the mattress topper from Tempur-Pedic. Side sleepers with hip pain may need to try several different toppers.
- Are Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers the Same as Mattress Pads?
No, a mattress pad is a machine washable cover that protects the mattress. It may offer some cushion, but it is mostly hygienic.
- How firm should a mattress topper for a side sleeper be?
For most side sleepers, a mattress topper should add plushness, so either soft or medium is probably the best choice
- Will a mattress topper help with pressure points?
The right mattress topper will provide you with more support as you sink. If you are larger, look for a mattress topper with extra stability.
- How Much Should Side Sleepers Spend on a Mattress Topper?
For the right mattress topper, side sleepers should expect to spend between $150 and $350.
Snuggle In and Sleep Deep!
While every side sleeper is different, the Saatva graphite topper is the best option on this list!
This mattress topper will give side sleepers steady support, terrific pressure relief and a cool sleep thanks to the graphite content.
Even better, this mattress topper reduces the risk of motion transfer; if you struggle with nighttime pain, this topper will allow you to find a comfortable position without waking your partner.